- 4 oz. soft margarine
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsb baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
for the crunchy topping;
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 oz caster sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F/ Gas 4. Lightly grease and base-line a 7 inch deep round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Measure al the ingredients for the cake into a large bowl and beat well until smooth. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the crunchy topping. Measure the lemon juice and sugar into a bowl and stir until blended.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, spread the lemon paste over the top whilst the cake is still hot.
- Leave in the tin until cold, then turn out and remove the paper.